Sunday, May 18, 2008

Thoughts on Prokaryotes, Eukaryotes and Viruses

A very educational tool, I also found it interesting to read about life from the perspective of the bacteria. I definitely feel sympathy for the bacteria, it must be a very good test in non-attachment! I took a few of the quizzes, and felt them useful as well (very detailed).

Would like to know more about how are immune system uses carbohydrates to detect infection. I have definitely put a lot of thought into the overuse of antibiotics (as well as the heavy use of antibacterial soap), and what effects these will have on all life forms. I eat a rich diet in fermented foods to try to keep a healthy flora!

It was interesting to note, from the readings on 'Human Genetic Evolution', that "eukaryotes developed as the result of ingestion of prokaryotes by other prokaryotes (endosymbiont hypothesis)". I also found myself pondering the lives of prokaryotic cells, especially the fact that they contain photosynthetic pigments, and what this could mean...

No comments: