Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Bit About Myself

I have just completed my first week of acupuncture school, a pursuit I have had now for ten years. While it feels like a new beginning in many ways, it does not lack familiarity. This journey has been an enlightening one.

After finishing with a B.S. in Earth Science and Physics at UCSD, I traveled for the summer through Mexico, Guatemala and Belize. It was during that time that I received my first massage, a significant event for me. I truly enjoyed my studies as a scientist, but felt that I needed some nourishment for the right side of my brain as well. It followed the natural flow to now add the physics of the body to my studies. Upon returning, I immediately enrolled in massage school and found myself drawn specifically towards Shiatsu and Tui Na. This also led me to a deeper understanding of energy through the practice of Chi Kung.

The photo shown above is home, Sierra valley, the largest alpine valley in North America. I currently live and work at a hot springs resort, Sierra Hot Springs, which has been frequented for centuries for its healing properties. When I moved here, five years ago, my energy shifted to the water through the studies of Watsu (Shiatsu done in water) and its extension, Waterdance. I also found myself living in a communal setting for the first time and took this opportunity to explore life and the dynamics of living in a community. I found myself living off the grid in a geodesic dome which could only be accessed with skis or snowshoes in the winter. It was great! The only sounds I heard outside were of the gurgling creek and my friendly neighbors, the birds. I also jumped right into running the office and Health Services Department, in which I developed a spa service program and enhanced their existing structure. This has truly been an educational experience on many different levels, and I am thankful for the innumerable gifts of wisdom and humbleness it has given me.

Most recently I have been exploring Chi Nei Tsang, a Taoist visceral manipulation which emphasizes the movement of chi energy through the abdominal organs. Sound has also travelled into my studies through Acutonics, the use of tuning forks on the meridian system. I have learned much through this complex and enlightening journey and truly appreciate the value of acupuncture and Oriental medicine. I believe strongly in the wisdom carried down from these great masters and am moving forward to a deeper awareness into this great tradition.

2 comments:

michelle said...

your life sounds very cool! we had class on acutonics and i found it very interesting. do they teach you points to use the forks on?

Unknown said...

I like how you mentioned your first massage as a gateway into your current life of body work and healing. Its interesting how one moment in our lives can drastically change our future for the better. I agree with Michelle; your life style sounds incredible;the type of life I hope to one day make for me and my future family. I hope throughout classtime together we can learn more about what you do there, and the joys of daily life in a beautiful communal setting. I also think it is wonderful that you continue to educate yourself about a variety of healing methods, there are so many...how will you know when to stop?! Your community is lucky to have you.